Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Increase Your Vocabulary

procrastinate - verb
Definition: delay, put off doing
Synonyms: adjourn, be dilatory, cool*, dally, dawdle, defer, drag, drag one’s feet, give the run around, hang fire, hesitate, hold off, lag*, let slide, linger, loiter, pause, play a waiting game, play for time, poke*, postpone, prolong, retard, shilly-shally*, stall, stay, suspend, tarry, temporize, wait

I sometimes procrastinate, but it isn't a major problem for me. I try to accomplish tasks in a timely manner, since often it involves being respectful of other people's time!
However, during Christmas "vacation" procrastination becomes an art form for me. I justify this temporary bad habit of putting things off with the I-work-really-hard-the-rest-of-the-year-so-I-deserve-a-break-at-the-holidays philosophy.

If you read through the different words used to define it, then maybe you were convicted by exactly what your own procrastination means.
I was convicted. But seems I'm still guilty of doing it. This holiday, I've added a new word, similar to 'procrastinate', to my mental word bank .

You see, last week my ears perked up when I heard a pair of radio DJs mention a website called Word Spy. The DJs were sharing info about the site and giving examples of some newly invented words. In attempts at humor, they were making up their own words. I believe they coined the following term themselves because I didn't find it on "Word Spy". Either way, I am guilty of doing it, especially around holidays. And the new word is...
"Procrastibake"!-
...choosing and executing the task of holiday baking over every other higher priority task you really should be doing instead. This can include impulse holiday baking which you hadn't even planned on doing in the first place!


So here's a "slide" of me as I procrastibake and candy make (with some help!)

Many blessings to you this holiday season as you procrastinate and procrastibake(!) along with the rest of us! :)


No comments: