Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grand Theft Auto?

Some time ago on one of our usual trips to Jefferson Barracks trail for our family exercise session, dh and I discovered a new trick. Like always, we loaded up the minivan with 2 med sized bikes, 2 adults, 3 kids, and a double jogging stroller. It takes a bit of work to get all these people/things to fit into the van, but we get 'er done. It takes the same bit of work to unload and assemble, while keeping tabs on the "adventurous" 5 year old who is amused by his discovery of the bright blue toilet water in the port-a-potty.
But on this trip, in the chaos of this getting ready to exercise ritual, we locked the keys in the van. Having started jogging ahead of Jeff and boys (I'm slower than my physically fit spouse), they caught up with me to break the news that the keys were being held prisoner inside the hatch of the van. So, we went back the 1/4 of a mile that we had already covered just to verify that it wasn't a dream. We all did the obligatory cup-your-hands-around-your-face-and-peer-inside-van-repeating-the-phrase 'yep, there they are' . Since we leave the front driver's side window cracked about a 1/2 inch, we scoured the parking lot for something to stick down into the window to nudge the power lock. No luck. Hmmm, what to do. I am often driven by my obsession to exercise daily without letting anything or anyone interfere, so I thought hard. As I removed my mp3 earphones (its hard to think with earplugs in), it hit me. The earpiece is shaped to fit around your ear, so it would grab the tiny lever for the power locks and bingo! It was easy enough to slip the skinny flexible wire and earpiece through the window opening, and in under 15 seconds, we had unlocked the van. We cheered, retrieved the keys, and went on our way.

As we began the trail run again, I felt obligated to go into a paranoid spiel about how we better not leave our windows cracked open like that anymore since I was SURE that the "thieves" waiting for us to leave our van alone in the parking lot had already thought of this earphones in the windows trick! In my coolest secret agent fashion, I nonchalantly surveyed the area while telling dh a half dozen times that there might be a handful of people out there who know how to hot wire a van just like ours. Hadn't they thought of this one?! What a perfect way to break into a vehicle and easily unlock power windows! I felt a little bit like one of the characters from "The Riches" with my newly learned auto theft skill. Good thing Jeff has learned to smile and nod so well when I obsess.

Kids, don't imitate everything your parents do.

3 comments:

Deb said...

As I was reading your fabulous idea, I kept thinking . . . she has just told the world how to break into her van. LOL We must think alike girl. So, Jeff will just have to shake his head at both of us.

Melanie Wilson said...

Wow! Amazing! Unfortunately, my thief thought it more expedient to smash a hole under my door lock and wallah, he was in and had my purse. ;-) Glad you got your workout in!

Gregg said...

Yeah, my window was smashed. I don't think they want to take the time to jimmy the lock.